Sunday, July 17, 2011

Davies downbeat at Open showing

Rhys Davies Rhys Davies failed to make the cut at the 2011 Open Championship Welsh golfer Rhys Davies admitted finding the Royal St George's course tough going after missing the cut at the Open Championship.

Fellow Welshmen Mark Laskey and Simon Edwards also failed to make the cut.

Davies carded a 78 in the second round, finishing 13-over-par, to complete a miserable few days on the Kent links.

"It was a real struggle out there," said the 26-year-old, who failed to make the halfway cut on his two previous Open appearances.

"I'm a little perplexed at the moment, it's not going my way."

Northern Ireland's Darren Clarke fired a second round 68 to share the lead with Lucas Glover at the halfway stage of the 2011 Open Championship.

Davies, who honed his skills on a classic links course on the south Wales coast at Royal Porthcawl, failed to shine on his two previous Open appearances.

He was unable to break par in each of his four rounds, missing the halfway cut by two shots in 2010 at St Andrews and by three in shots at Turnberry in 2009.

But despite that, Davies felt confident going into the 2011 Open Championship and has now vowed to develop his game following another disappointing performance.

"I'm working hard at it," said the Bridgend-based player.

"I might be doing too much, I don't know.

"I've got to have a real think about it, I don't want to say anything right now that there's a definite reason because I can't put my finger on it.

Davies added: "I'd have loved to have played well this week. I felt I could do really well here if I'm honest but it hasn't come out that way.

"I haven't played well enough, there's no excuses."

Laskey, the Challenge Tour professional making his major debut, shot a three-over-par round of 73 on Thursday but carded a 76 on day two leaving him nine-over-par.

"I'm very disappointed to miss the cut but it's been a great week," said 26-year-old Laskey.

"I played solid for about 80 per cent of the time but just haven't holed the putts."

Edwards struggled to a nine-over-par round of 79, but was in philosophical mood despite finishing 21-over-par for the tournament.

"It was poor again but that's how it is," said the Wrexham-born player.

"It's a tough golf course, I'm not playing great and it's going to find you out.

"I love being here. How can you not enjoy this? "It's brilliant."


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment